Last week's 13 miler:
Lauren and I drove down to Shawnee Mission Park, where we set off for the run, in unusually warm weather (55 degrees!). The second mile was ridiculously hilly and I thought we were never going to make it up... but we did - which resulted in much more brief downhill portions. From there we ran 6.5 miles out and then back. The best thing we discovered were several port-a-pottys planted along the route - allowing for needs to be met if necessary. If you run great distances, you know this is an exciting discovery. However, we also discovered zero working water fountains (I guess it is January), which resulted in 13 miles with NO water! Along the route we met some runner friends who had much water, but apparently not enough to share. And one of them - get ready for this - is running a marathon in every state (only has Alaska to go) and currently has 91 marathons under his belt. And, he gave me a fist pump when I told him I was running Boston. So I fist pumped a near-hundred marathoner. Needless to say we were extremely thirsty by the end.
This week's 14 miles:
Today, I ran more than I have ever run before. This was the first time I have had this experience since September of 2007. We had a system for today to fix the lack of H2O situation. We parked in the middle and ran 3.5 miles out and then back to the car where we were replenished with water (yay, water!) and various energizing products (sport beans and gels) and used the aforementioned port-a-potties. Then we ran 3.5 miles out the other direction and back. There was a little snow on the trails, but the sun was out and the weather was actually must better than anticipated! The run went very well, the aftermath not so much (not sure if it was the sport beans or the pudding for breakfast). Lauren and I had great conversation (including our chant when times get tough, "Lauren, how do you feel?" "I feel good, oh, I feel so good!"), and the 2 hours and 14 minutes flew by! From here on out, I'm running into uncharted territory.
This happened in the fall on a 12 miler, but I ran 5 miles in this condition. I would highly suggest not tripping while running on concrete. I have several scars to remind me in case I forget.
My adorable pup Avery :)
Avery loves going down slides!
Perhaps I will take more recent, relevent photos to document my training soon.



I like your clever solution for a water stop! I myself run laden down with my water and snacks on my person because I could NEVER run 13 without water. You ladies are hardcore! And your puppy is adorable!
ReplyDelete