12.29.2009

B is for... Bakinhoven!

Thank you to Matt & Jess Bakinhoven for their incredibly generous donation, and Christmas present to my fundraising! Thank you also to Jim & Meredith for their donation (to several BPE runners!) as well!

As I wrote on Christmas Eve, I did not yet know the terror that would rain (or snow) down upon Kansas City within the next 36 hours. I am SO glad I got my long run in that morning! We got about 14" of snow, which started with freezing rain - made opening car doors interesting. And this sad city 1) doesn't know how to plow/salt, 2) doesn't know how to shovel, 3) doesn't know how to drive... in snow. So as I sit and write 5 days after the beginning of this ordeal, the roads have yet to be sufficiently plowed and snow has yet to be removed.

Well you may be thinking, "who cares, it's not like you have to drive to work!" And you'd be right about that, the not driving to work part. :) But I care! On Sunday I forced myself to run on the treadmill for the first time since, probably March or earlier. It was a sad, sad day. :( However, since I was running inside, I committed to running faster. And I did! I ran 3 miles at 9:00 pace and one at 8:30 pace. It was wicked hot in that gym.

And yet today, I am planning to make the trecherous trek out in the snow roads to run 10 miles. "Why?" you ask, because it's only going to get worse. It is supposed to be colder this week (more ice on the roads) and supposed to snow again tonight. Please help keep me running and not sleeping, by donating at www.firstgiving.com/laurelin!

Wish me luck on this trecherous journey (and I'm serious, I'm afraid I'm going to fall). And I will update with my condition next week! Have a very happy new year to all! And those of you in warmer climates... know that I am sufficiently jealous.

2 comments:

  1. GOOD LUCK, LAUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    What up Bakinhoven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) You should be jealous
    2) I hope the next post is brought to us by the letter 'A' for 'Almost dying and causing car accidents'. :)

    ReplyDelete